jueves, 30 de octubre de 2008

the number three.

For the past three years, I have been one of three. A third wheel, if you will. And to my joy, I consider the other two wheels to be some of the best friends I've ever had. I like to think that I bring a dimension of fun and flair to their relationship, the silly single friend who always has some jokes. For me, they serve as a beautiful model of what relationships can be: centered on God, filled with fun, and romantic all the while.

But sometimes, their model is just tooo good and I begin to feel like the little girl in the picture (obviously, the one on the right). I yearn to break away from the tricycle and form my own bicycle. It's quite the yucky feeling.

And I tell myself over, and over, and over again: "stop it!" Because jealousy sucks and it's against everything I believe about life.

Maybe it's less about the fact I'm jealous, though, and more about the fact that I get to witness firsthand the amazing blessing God can dish out to two people if they decide to honor Him in their relationship. According to the old testament, "A cord of three strands is not easily broken." Interestingly enough, God is one of three: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That's the strongest bond there is. Perfect community.

Maybe if that little girl in the picture looked up instead of looking over, she wouldn't be making such a sour face. Maybe she'd be smiling.

2 comentarios:

katie dijo...

whatever happened to the CIRCLE of jealousy?

you are the best third wheel ever, the best friend ever, and the best role model ever!

bigcitypretty dijo...

Love you, love you, love you, sweet Smil.