domingo, 26 de octubre de 2008

senioritis

I thought people only got senioritis in high school. But no. Senioritis is a prevalent disease in our universities as well. I believe it hit me when I realized I've been in school for sixteen years of my life. That's sixteen years of "do your best!" "Make sure and get an A". That's immense pressure. What makes me even angrier is that grades ultimately don't matter. Why do I let them control my life? So many successful people in business and other specialties were in fact horrible students. I pride myself on being a good student, but I must say, it's taken a toll on my stress levels. To be honest, I don't know where I got this from either; neither of my parents were really like this. My dad finished college later in life and he's done well for himself in his career. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that I am constantly aware of how much my parents pay for my education. Anything less than an "A" seems like a waste of their money. I feel this burden often, and I am excited to move on and become independent.

The idea of being "cut off" financially is not frightening but exhilarating. I can't wait to be in command of my own decisions in every way. I have had this independent streak since I was young. I dressed myself starting at age four, I would rip ribbons out of my hair placed there by mom, and I spent a significant amount of my childhood at the neighbor's house. One of my main focuses in high school was getting to go away to college. I've always wanted to be "my own person." So here I am at the brink of this long desired independence and I have to, yet again, study. I must make the most of it, though. College is an amazing chapter of life that I don't want to waste away being overwhelmed by school :)

2 comentarios:

katie dijo...

ditto that my brother

Lauren Madison dijo...

Being financially independent will indeed be exhilerating. So true, Smiller.