viernes, 24 de octubre de 2008

why two blogs?

Yes, yes. I agree. Two blogs seems quite excessive. However, as a native English speaker, it seems only natural for me to have an english blog on top of my spanish blog.
As a learner of a second language, it never ceases to amaze me how some things simply cannot translate. Languages express much more than simple thoughts; they express our innermost beliefs and viewpoints on life. What does "life" mean to you? Much of that answer is formed by where you live, your culture, what language you speak. Learning another language allows your worldview to become completely altered. You get to hear and understand how a completely different culture group looks at this thing called "life".
For that, I thoroughly believe language goes so much deeper than words. The mere utterance of the words "I love you" are not significant due to their vocalized tones, but because they are an attempt to express the significance of the relationship between two people. In this same way, words often fall short. When we are deeply affected by something we often respond, "I'm at a loss for words."
All this to say, language has proven to be one of my biggest passions, interests, and driving forces. So, if I speak english AND spanish... I should have an english blog, right?